Thursday, June 12, 2008

Volunteer Event


Well, anyone that knows me knows how much I enjoy keeping busy and love the chance to help managing events--it may just be my weakness (or my strength depending on who you are I suppose). I recently have become involved in the coordination of the volunteer aspects for an event called "Summerfest International." The event is a weeklong celebration of International performances, art and food from 10 different countries around the world. It is similar to an event I assisted management of at Westminster. The difference is that they are bringing in the performers from the actual countries they represent! I love the people I've been working with so far, and I am loving the opportunity to gain new experiences in the Event Management world.

While I am not incharge of the advertising for volunteers, I told them I would help out because I believe this to be an amazing opportunity for anyone who needs something to do, wants to share your testimony, meet new people, experience cultures from around the world, work on your second language, or most importantly wants to be more involved in the community.

The event itself runs from August 4-9th, 2008 and is held mainly in Bountiful Park. Here's a link to the event: http://www.bdac.org/summerfest/summerfest.htm. The performers are coming from China, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Greece, India, Israel, Mexico, Mongolia, Romania, Russia-Cossacks, Russia-Siberia, and a clogging group from the USA. There are currently volunteer opportunities in many areas and schedules to fit the needs of the volunteer.

  • Host Performers in your home during event
  • Poster Distribution before event
  • Runners to pick up and drop off In-kind donations
  • Grounds Crew keep park clean and safe (get to ride 4-wheelers!)
  • Security during event
  • Stage/Lighting for performances
  • Park Set-up/Tear-down before and after event
  • Serving Food during the Mayor's Reception
  • Sales Booth during the Street Dance
  • And More!
Volunteers who qualify will be treated to a complimentary breakfast, lunch, receive admission to the Summerfest International as well as the Bountiful Rec Center-during the week of the event-and of course, a new and nifty free T-shirt, and so much more!

To sign up for the opportunity to be a host family and/or volunteer during the event, fill out the form at: http://www.bdac.org/summerfest/contact/volunteers.htm or contact me at smilyrunner@gmail.com with any questions you may have.

1 comment:

Terrie said...

What a great thing to be involved in! I am so glad that you have found something to keep you busy and happy (besides Sophy and Troy of course). And thanks for showing off the pictures of Sophy and listing my photography stuff...that is really sweet of you.