Friday, July 18, 2008

Lake Powell Trip

We were nervous about going on the Family Lake Powell Trip this summer. 1) It's in the middle of July, 2) We have a 5 mo. old baby 3) She wasn't known for sleeping anywhere but her crib, 4) etc. We decided we should go, for Troy's B-day and to get a "break." One thing we realized is that it's harder to relax when you go on vacation with a baby, then before you had a baby. Another thing we realized is that she is very adaptable and is just fine with new things. She slept well. Not as well as we/she'd have liked, but well enough, and she smiled and laughed the WHOLE trip. We kept ourselves busy in the 2.5 days we were there. Our activities included, but were not limited to: Swimming, Tubing, Water Skiing, Boating, Hiking to Anchient Aztec ruins, eating good food, celebrating Troy & Tyler's b-days (twins), spending time with 16 other family members, and my favorite--jumping off of the top of the house boat. I hadn't been water skiing besides a few times before I was pregnant, so I was nervous, but did very well. We had such a fun time and can't wait to go back!

The houseboat jumping was interesting. I'm very much afraid of heights, but I've been trying to get over it for a while. Many other individuals on the trip had jumped off of the top of the houseboat into the deep water, and I decided that was my next "adventure" (as if child bearing, riding "Wicked," and all the other "death defying"/"fear inducing" activities I've done haven't been enough). I had the best coaches in the world, the most inspiration, and the most determination. One person was watching, time passed, 3 people, 6, 12, came out to see the "spectacle" and give their advice. Eventually after I realized that Sophy does harder things everyday, and our family motto after all is: "We do hard things!", I jumped. It took me 40 mins and over coming the hardest fear for me: falling. Afterwards I was relieved and went home happy. I know that it doesn't sound like a big deal, but I know that Heavenly Father helped me to feel comfortable in challenging myself to overcome this obstacle. I will be able to teach Sophy more when I understand more. I know that when I trust in Him all things will work together for His good. His good may not have been for me to jump off of a houseboat, but what if what is required is harder than that for me someday? I need to practice doing hard things now so that when the time comes for the hardest things, they will seem easier to me.

2 comments:

rccastleberryfamily said...

Looks like so much fun!! I love Lake Powell, the last time we were there, our seven year old was Sophie's age. It's been way too long! Congrats on overcoming a fear, that's awesome! I am afraid of heights too!

aspnmpl said...

Hey Gerber's Sophy is a doll, and you two are looking great. Emily you are a wonderful mother. Keep it up.