Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Life Lessons Learned Today...

And more to come, I'm sure. Yesterday I took up the challenge to make Chicken Fajhitas and they were (and I quote Troy) "AMAZING! And you can add these to my list of favorite dinners!" He said they looked like a meal from a fancy $10/plate+ restaraunt! I had already made bread that turned out really well that morning, and I got so excited that maybe I could cook afterall, "Today is My Day!" etc., so I decided to venture to make Snickerdoodles that night too. Afterall, they are fairly easy to make and I've made them several times before, even batches good enough to give away to neighbors! So I endeavored the task. I was so proud (too proud I found out later) when I put them into the oven, that I remarked to Troy at how fast I made them and with such skill. Well, I had tasted the batter and it didn't seem perfect, but then again eating batter is not good for you anyway, so I figured I shouldn't use that as a taste test of my delicious cuisine. When they came out I tasted them and learned the following things:


  1. If something is labelled "not too bad," it's probably "not too good" either.

  2. Not just ANY cookie is a good cookie.

  3. Maybe quality control/inspection teams are not a waste of $ (that's for you Corianne and Katie).

  4. It's okay to WASTE IT if you WANT IT NOT.

  5. It's not okay ot leave out 2/3rds of the sugar to a sugar-based cookie recipe...it may sound healthy, but it isn't good for anyone.

  6. It's okay to spend a little more $ and buy good quality butter flavored shortening instead of cheap quality vegetable shortening...in some (many) cases, you CAN tell the difference.

  7. Sometimes (most times in my case) husbands are right about how you should cook.

  8. It is ALWAYS a good idea to stop talking and read the recipe properly.

  9. It's okay to throw out a bad batch of cookies. No one will benefit from eating them (not the starving children in China, not even your neighbors' kids!).

  10. Something that looks pretty, isn't always good on the inside (or for your insides!), and as we know, it's what's on the inside that counts...no matter how much "frosting" we add to "sweeten" the bad deal. :)

Well, with more lessons to come, I am reminded that I am supposed to continue to work on "creating" things. President Uchtdorf's talk at the Relief Society General Conference Address was spot on about women, me in particular. I loved how he spoke highly of women and their talents. We are to aknowledge that we are on earth to create things. Whether or not those things turn out well, is mostly irrelevant. All that matters is THAT we create and continue working on that everyday. My cookies may not be good today, but if I continue to work on them, someday they will be worth eating! Baby Steps, right? :)

6 comments:

Heidi said...

So glad that you are doing well! It sounds like you are loving being home and finding plenty to occupy your time. Can you tell me - how do you post the part underneath your friend's blogs which says how long it has been since they posted?

Terrie said...

Too funny! Trust me you are not the only one to learn these lessons the hard way. A couple of weeks ago I was making mashed potatoes, we had to leave for dinner at Ben's moms and the potatoes weren't quite finished but we thought they were "close enough." Turns out they weren't; after adding milk, butter and salt and pepper they were more like a paste, and tasted awful. I wouldn't let Ben take them, so we were late and empty handed. At least there were two prior success' in your day!

Miriam said...

Don't worry, I think we all have those days where pride gets the better of us. I need to do more cooking, thanks for inspiring stories!

Alisha said...

You are always so cute. Way to go on your accomplishments - and way to go on not getting upset about the cookies - life happens right? I also appreciated Pres Uchtdorf's counsel for us. I hope to actually apply it now!

Ricks Family Adventures said...

Despite the sinker doodle incident it sounds like your cooking skills are improving. Can we come over for fajitas? Hows Friday night? Oh wait I live 2000 miles away, shoot. One of these days we'll get up there again. We miss you guys and we need to met your cutie. Love you - Jennifer.

Cottle said...

You are too funny about the cookies. We all mess up on occasions :) I am glad you enchiladas turned out. I tagged you on my blog check it out :)