Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day 2008

Mother's Day is always an extremely happy day for some, and an extremely sad day for others. Why are women always hard on themselves? I think it's because of the innate desire within us to become mothers. Mother's Day was very hard for me last year. It seemed like the day to have children in our home would never come, then when Heavenly Father said we should start trying, it seemed like it was taking forever to get pregnant. Last year, during Mother's Day, I cried, not knowing (why are women like this sometimes) if I could have the kind of patience He was requiring of me. Little did I know, very soon after Mother's Day we would find out that we were having a baby! It seems like such a silly thing to worry about now, though I know it is hard for many women. This year is such a different year, and we are so grateful for the trials we've been blessed with that have helped us realize the gifts and goals Heavenly Father has in store for us. His plan is so much better than our own!





Here are some pictures from the Thanksgiving Point Mother's Day luncheon that Troy's mother took me to this year. The speaker, Anita Stansfield, was amazingly realistic about the way we should see our lives. My favorite thing she said is: "Don't let the gifts you've been given get lost in the chaos we live in." Afterwards, we walked through the beautiful gardens and spent time with the women in our family. Mother's Day isn't just about being a mother of your own children. I think it has more to do with appreciating the special gifts that all women have while honoring and respecting women for all that they go through to make this world a better place. I am so grateful to all of the women (and especially my mother) who have taught me how to make it through hard times with a smile on my face and a song in my heart.

2 comments:

Cottle said...

So this makes me homesick no fare. I am glad you had a good time with everyone.

Julianna said...

We just talked about this the other day. It's so true, we are too hard on ourselves.